Old 19-04-2013, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Water Survey

"Martin Brown" wrote in message ...

On 18/04/2013 20:41, SK2013 wrote:
Good Evening,

Q1: How would you describe the size of your garden?
c) Large

Although you should perhaps ask for size - about 1/3 acre.

My point in my posting, ............ ""How long is a piece of string?""

.................................................. ......

Q2: How do you store rainwater/recycled water in your garden? Please
indicate which of the following statements apply:
a) “I only use water from a tap”
b) “I collect rainwater in a water butt”

a + b

Q3: How do you water your garden? Please mark all of the below methods
that apply:
a) Hosepipe (using an inside/outside tap)
c) Hosepipe Irrigation system (using an inside/outside tap)
e) Hosepipe and solar powered pump (using water butt rain water)
f) Watering can (filled using an inside/outside tap)
g) Watering can (filled from a water butt containing rain water)

a, c, e, f, g
(only the pump isn't solar powered it is a solar pump but on a 12v lead
acid battery and works much better that way) And it is hozelock dripline
rather than a hosepipe which is too imprecise.

http://www.nezumi.demon.co.uk/garden/water/fountain.htm
(bottom half of page)

Q4: If some of the time you water your garden with rainwater what
factors make you revert back to tap water?

Running out of rainwater and needing to keep some back for lime
intolerant orchids.

Q5: If I was designing a product to water your garden what would the
three most important considerations be. Please mark those that are
applicable below:

c) Efficiency: I want to make sure my plants receive adequate water”
e) Durability/Reliability: “I need a solution that won’t let me down and
will last”

c, e in that order

You have missed out controllability. I want to get the right amount of
water to the right places.
Mosquito larvae are a PITA for jamming filters from a water butt.

I have run my greenhouse on automatic when on holiday and had the
amusement of coming back to find desert plants under water. They
fortunately didn't mind flash floods do happen in deserts.

I use hozelock irrigation attached to the battery pump rigged to do
about 15-30 minutes morning and evening.

Q6: If you do not currently use rain/recycled water what are the
barriers that stop you?

I already do, but don't really have enough storage capacity at 400L.
My previous greenhouse had nearly 2000L and that never ran dry.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown