Old 20-04-2013, 07:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Order of lawn maintenance operations?

On Apr 20, 5:23*am, lasors wrote:
Hello all,
Hoping to pick your brains if you would be so kind.

I have a lawn that needs some (ok, a lot) of help, although it's not
beyond repair. It has significant moss growth and thatch

Are you sure you know what thatch really looks like and
that it's really excessive? Many people think thatch is just
the normal dead, decaying grass clippings. It's not. Thatch
is a lot of dead plant material that becomes so thick it's
like a thatch roof.

and dries out
too readily. My thoughts so far involve scarifying, hollow tine aeration
and top dressing/lawn sand brushed in, with new seeding.

The scarifying is only necessary if you really have a thatch
problem. And I would not do that and aeration at the same
time. Either of those will damage and kill some of the existing
grass. I would seperate them by months. You only need to
top dress if the soil needs something added to it. For seeding
the best tool is an over-seeder, which cuts groves in the soil
and drops seed. Fall is by far the best time to do seeding. You
have less competition from weeds, lower temps, less watering
and more time for the turf to establish before you get to hotter
summer conditions.

What I would like to know is, does it matter in which order this care is
done? Can it be done all together to keep the time taken down to a
minimum?

Many thanks.

--
lasors