Old 21-04-2013, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default rodale 30yr study

In article ,
says...
On Friday, April 19, 2013 9:01:49 PM UTC-6, songbird wrote:
i don't recall this link being posted,

i've not read it yet, but supposedly it is a

comparison between conventional methods and

organic done for 30 years.

http://66.147.244.123/~rodalein/wp-c...okletFINAL.pdf
songbird

I certainly do like the concept of organic farming but that booklet
is PROPAGANDA as bad as the crap put out by the chemical and fertilizer
companies. I know of some farmers in this area who have given up on organic farming as the weed problem just overwhelmed them. Trying to fight quack grass and thistles the organic way was totally useless.
I believe in using chemicals if and when necessary but should be a last resort.

Round-Up type herbicides should be used as little as possible and certainly not as
pre-harvest treatments as some farmers routinely do.

You'd have to update yourself on just what these chemicals do to the
soil and to living organisms before settling on what is and is not
propaganda.

My recent efforts have been spent in the political domain dealing with
the political fog of war.

Sometimes I may not be the sharpest pin in the cushion but let me
challenge the foundation of your assertion by asking the question, "What
was it about this farmer's business that caused him to forego the
premium prices that organic production usually nets?"

That opens lines of investigation up to and including the possibility
that his organic seed had been contaminated with GMO pollen and he could
no longer produce organically. (Look into GMO contamination of flax.
It's nearly wiped out some organic flax farmers around here because the
GMO RR gene in their seed denies them access to the lucrative European
market.)