Old 20-04-2013, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default amphibians

On 2013-04-20 17:48:23 +0100, rbel said:

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 14:54:29 +0100, Steve B
wrote:

Hi

I've not seen any frogs or newts this year and am wondering if this is a
local phenomenon or otherwise.

Frogs, newts and one toad so far, plus oodles of tadpoles here in
South Devon. Having said that the first frogs were a bit later
appearing this year and fewer in number than is usual.

Newts are in our pond but we never see them unless the water level is
drastically reduced while searching for the elusive leak! We've had
lots of frogs, though not as many as in other years, judging by the
spawn. They arrived on mid Feb, iirc. We haven't had any toadspawn for
two or three years and we used to get masses of both. The spawn has
all disappeared now and while we think some got frosted at the top of
the clumps, we think the rest developed naturally.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com