Old 21-04-2013, 12:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Pea crop failure?

In article ,
songbird wrote:

wrote:

I planted peas 5 weeks ago. They're just now starting to come up. So
far I've only seen only three seedlings out of whole packet of seeds.
I just noticed the third seedling today. What are the chances of the
rest of them coming up?

about where are you located?

That, indeed.

around here it's been too cold, frosts last
night and tonight. i won't be putting any peas
out for a while yet. they're one of my favorite
crops.

I tend to go with "as early as the ground can be worked and I can find
the time" for planting peas. Mine have been out there through a few
sleet storms now, and are not up yet - might be a couple of weeks now.
I'm not worried.

Peas are a cool-weather crop, and they don't mind a bit of frost. If the
seed is current, or no more than ~2 years past date, and nothing has
eaten it, they will come up when ready. If you have had birds drop by
and pull them up as soon as they sprouted, that's a different matter. If
moles or something have polished it off from below, likewise. If it's
been dry, not much will happen (you could water them...).

My final attempt at growing Eliot Coleman's favorite cold-weather salad
plant (Mache or cornsalad) has also been out there, and I think the
sleet may have done the trick. Not really sure, as I've never had any
luck growing the stuff, which is why it's my final attempt - unless of
course it actually grows this time and I actually like it. Something is
coming up where I planted it, though I think the first something was, in
fact, weeds - I'm not sure what the stuff looks like when small, since
it has never worked for me before. Last year it probably had an excuse,
as it was 90F and dry in March. Perhaps it should go in with the garlic
in the fall. The garlic is pretty happy this year. Sorrel and hops are
also good.