Old 25-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Gary

Default Yucky Yuccas

My experience has been that you can successfully transplant yucca if they
are very young and treat them well for the first year or two until they get
their roots established. As far as the old dead leaves, I think it is OK to
just trim them off. Some might just fall off, but I wouldn't pull them off,
but rather, snip them off with your pruning shears. Good luck not getting
"bit" in the process, as the points on the leaves are quite sharp.
Gary
"KPDOBES" wrote in message
I have Yuccas that are 15-18 years old. They had a very bad winter this

year
with lots of heavy snow. Now, they look horrible with lots of half dead
leaves.
Can I transplant some of the smaller ones now?
Can I use mushroom compost mixed in the soil of the new beds?
Can I cut back the dead and ugly leaves?
Just how much of the root should I attempt to get?
Thanks sooooo much for your help. Mary