Old 22-04-2013, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Steve B[_3_] Steve B[_3_] is offline

Default amphibians

In article , kay.be9a1a7
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

'Steve B[_3_ Wrote:
;981386']Hi

I've not seen any frogs or newts this year and am wondering if this is a

local phenomenon or otherwise.

Steve

My frog spawn was 3-4 weeks late this year - appeared only about a week
ago. Frogs became evident only a couple of days before that.

I have lots of last years baby newts who overwintered in the pond and a
few adults - the adult newts arrive a bit later - they seem to time it
so they can feed on the hatching frogspawn.

Found some frogspawn yesterday at about 350m on the NW of Ingleborough

Thanks for the replies, it seems that the frogs are responding to the
late spring. Still cold and dry here, but nice in the sun.
I'll keep an eye out when the weather turns milder and wetter.

Steve