Old 22-04-2013, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pesticides

On 22/04/2013 14:20, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 19:41:23 +0100, "Pete C"
wrote:

'If' I've heard right, something called neonicotinoids (sp) are to be
banned. Does anyone know what products will disappear from garden centre
shelves?

Quite a lot will be banned or modified but, in my opinion, that won't
be such a bad thing. I have been gardening without pesticides for
years and I'm quite pleased with the results.

Steve

Of course you haven't had problems. That is because pesticide use keeps
pests down to manageable numbers which have limited effects. So you
don't have trouble because many around you are using pesticides, thus
limiting what damage they might do to your plants. Let's call it
"collateral benefit".

If you don't believe this, all you have to do is look at the damage
caused by pests (and diseases) where there is no treatment. I may be
wrong, but I expect that you don't exist solely on what you can grow.
If you did, and your food supply for the next year was decimated by
locusts, you might have a different view on pesticide use.

--

Jeff