Old 23-04-2013, 04:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Pea crop failure?

In article ,
songbird wrote:

I'm in north central Kentucky. I've always planted peas around the
middle of March but this year it's been exceptionally cool this spring.

when i plant peas in warm enough ground and
there's some sunshine they'll sprout in 4-5
days. i know they can survive frosts, but i'd
rather give them a quicker start so i know
what takes and it gives weeds much less of a
chance to get going.

Whatever works for you, works for you.

Last night it got down to 25F (at the airport 2 miles away - didn't see
any ice on the pond this morning, though it was quite brisk) and peas
are starting to appear. Having never practiced the excessive data and/or
diary approaches to gardening I'm guessing two weeks - I normally like
to have them in April 1st if possible and am pretty sure I didn't, so it
was probably the following weekend.

Works for me. If I waited for warm ground I feel like I'd lose weeks of
pea growth, and production time before they fry up in the summer.