Old 23-04-2013, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
news news is offline

Default Kiwi Fruit "Jenny"

In article , David Hill
writes
On the topic of Kiwi fruit.
How should they be pruned?

I'm interested in hearing any experience of that, too. I've had Jenny
for a good while but never seen a flower even though it puts on a lot of
vine and attractive leaf in a season and looks very healthy. South-ish
westish location (north Wiltshire near Gloucester and Oxford boundaries)

Had it in a pot for a couple of years, but it got weevilled - so took it
out, washed it all off and put it in the ground - so it now grows up a
SouthSouth west house wall. It is well drained but also gets plenty of
moisture - its a gable wall with no overhang, and the run off from the
hill part of the garden is channeled in a soakaway that it is adjacent
to.

It has been in the ground for 6 years now - I'd guess the plant itself
is probably 9 or 10 years old. It gets fed during the season with a
fruit/flower fertilizer (as opposed to a high nitrogen one).

I've tried no specific pruning regime so far - other than cutting back
the really long new growth at the end of the season.

--
regards andyw