Old 23-04-2013, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Pesticides

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 17:14:17 +0100, rbel wrote:

I am sure you would agree that pressure should be maintained on Bayer
et al to design/manufacture pesticides that do not have potentially
adverse side effects on wildlife, particularly on something as
valuable to plant life as the bee.

On that point we agree. OTOH, Bayer have replaced their Provado
Ultimate Bug Killer that contained imidacloprid with a new formulation
containing thiacloprid which is not as bad for bees and is not
mentioned in the EC's proposals. ISTR they made that change before the
hoo-haa blew up.

But much more will be achieved if those that simply pontificate start
to acknowledge that pesticides do exist and people do use them and,
instead of simply ignoring their existence, start to educate people
about pesticide implications and safer use.

I use Provado UBK when the lily beetle population here gets too big to
handle by squishing or feeding to the cat and I want the systemic
effect. But I spray late in the evening when beneficial insects are
not flying (and I check plants carefully for any resting ones). And I
remove the anthers (pollen being potentially fatal to cats) so there
is no pollen for bees to take and hence no risk to them. I never spray
more than twice in a season and usually only once.

--
Cheers, Jake