Old 24-04-2013, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Terry Fields Terry Fields is offline

Default Pesticides

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:09:34 +0200, Martin wrote:

On 24 Apr 2013 09:47:36 GMT, Terry Fields
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 12:15:34 +0100, rbel wrote:

I agree entirely with your view that BBC tv documentaries have
declined dramatically in quality in recent years. I have not found
anything worth watching on BBC2 for at least a year. Thankfully there
are the occasional programmes by Al Khalili and Januszczak on BBC4
that are worth watching.

I went off Al Khalili when he presented a programme on 'Muslim science'
(whatever that means)

It means that in terms of science and attitudes to science, the Muslim
world was hundreds of years ahead of the Christian world.

And a millennium behind the Greeks, and centuries behind the Indians

Blindingly obvious or what?

Is it?

It certainly isn't the scientific method - which, we are told, was invented by Muslims.

, when he stated that the circumference of the Earth was eastimated in
~800AD by a Muslim scientist - completely ignoring the previous
measurements made in India 400 years previously and by the Greeks in
200BC.

AFAIR he covered those in another programme. He even gave a
demonstration of how the Greeks measured the circumference of the world.

Well, the scientific method is to build on what went before.

--
Terry Fields