Old 24-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Bigolob Bigolob is offline
Registered User

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haleakelaman View Post
I feel sorry for you. Those Scott's applicators and spreaders are worse than useless. I mean you buy a good product then you think okay I'll buy an applicator to do the job properly and it ruins your lawn. If it's any consolation it happened to me and I too contacted Scott's who were only prepared to give me another useless spreader. The plastic nipple on the wheel wears out and the metal parts at the bottom corrode. My answer was to hire a good belted style spreader from a local hire shop which was extremely accurate and never dumped big piles of chemical on stopping or turning as you can switch it off reliably. For large areas of 400m/2 or more I'd use the same hire company's cyclone spreader. The less people that buy Scott's useless products, the better.
Over the past 40 years I have always spread lawn fertilizer by hand using bamboo canes to measure a square yards/metres across the lawn getting the feel of how much to spread, eg 1 oz (35 grams). The canes are moved as each row is completed - not as laborious as it sounds.

A handfull is about 2 ounces to give a guide of quantity. I have never had a scorched lawn and used to mix the fertilizer from a recipe given to me by an old golf head greenkeeper. The result was fabulous and only age this year and last has made me buy the mediocre stuff sold in garden centres - at double the price and including selective weed-killer which I have to pay for but do not require. My lawn is 250 square yards.

Bigolob.