Old 24-04-2013, 10:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Guv Bob[_2_] Guv Bob[_2_] is offline

Default Order of lawn maintenance operations?

"lasors" wrote in message ...

Hello all,
Hoping to pick your brains if you would be so kind.

I have a lawn that needs some (ok, a lot) of help, although it's not
beyond repair. It has significant moss growth and thatch and dries out
too readily. My thoughts so far involve scarifying, hollow tine aeration
and top dressing/lawn sand brushed in, with new seeding.

What I would like to know is, does it matter in which order this care is
done? Can it be done all together to keep the time taken down to a
minimum?

Many thanks.

Got advice you're getting. I would add to test the lawn with a home test kit. Instead of taking samples at various places and mixing together, I do each spot separately. And yes, they all came out the same. LOL!! My yard showed no nitrogen and OK for P & K, so that was easy to fix.

I have seen so many of my neighbors kill a decent lawn, dig it up and lay down sod. Always seems like a waste to me. Our lawn looked worse than any other, and all did was sow bare spots, cover with soil or compost and water. It always comes back and in a couple of weeks look nearly as good as the new sod. Also doing this is a lot faster than spraying/killing the lawn and waiting weeks to lay down the sod.

I have mulched this lawn for 20 years and never thatched. Aerated once years ago and could not tell any difference.