Old 24-04-2013, 11:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Guv Bob[_2_] Guv Bob[_2_] is offline

Default Order of lawn maintenance operations?

"Guv Bob" wrote in message ...
"lasors" wrote in message ...

Hello all,
Hoping to pick your brains if you would be so kind.

I have a lawn that needs some (ok, a lot) of help, although it's not
beyond repair. It has significant moss growth and thatch and dries out
too readily. My thoughts so far involve scarifying, hollow tine aeration
and top dressing/lawn sand brushed in, with new seeding.

What I would like to know is, does it matter in which order this care is
done? Can it be done all together to keep the time taken down to a
minimum?

Many thanks.

Got advice you're getting. I would add to test the lawn with a home test kit. Instead of taking samples at various places and mixing together, I do each spot separately. And yes, they all came out the same. LOL!! My yard showed no nitrogen and OK for P & K, so that was easy to fix.

I have seen so many of my neighbors kill a decent lawn, dig it up and lay down sod. Always seems like a waste to me. Our lawn looked worse than any other, and all did was sow bare spots, cover with soil or compost and water. It always comes back and in a couple of weeks look nearly as good as the new sod. Also doing this is a lot faster than spraying/killing the lawn and waiting weeks to lay down the sod.

I have mulched this lawn for 20 years and never thatched. Aerated once years ago and could not tell any difference.

===

I meant "Good" advice you're getting.....

Another tip.... if the lovely wife is complaining about the lawn, here's what you do -- go for a walk. On the way back, cross to the other side of the street. About 2 houses before you get home, stop and point out the flaws in the yard you're standing in front of. Then look over to your yard and comment on how green it looks. Unless yours is in really bad shape, it will always look better from there.