Old 25-04-2013, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default RHS Wisley orchids

On 2013-04-24 22:50:02 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

" RHS Garden Wisley
Don't forget, if you want to take one of the orchids from the Orchids
in the Glasshouse display home for a suggested donation (cash only),
pop along to the Glasshouse today or tomorrow between 1 -
2.30pm.http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardens/Wisley/What-s-on "

Well that is a bit more sensible than Kew. When we went for a walk
around just after the orchid festival they were dismantling the
displays and the orchids were in a pile outside the glasshouse in the
freezing weather. I asked a gardener and he said they were all destined
to be composted although the expensive Vandas would be sent back to the
nursery. So thousands of Phalaenopsis were just thrown onto the compost
heap when Kew are always asking for money donations. Is it just me?
They could sell them off at a couple of pounds each and at least recoup
some of the outlay.

Absolutely right! What a shocking waste. And today we were looking at
the RHS plant catalogue and nearly fainted at some prices. Perennials
in 9cm pots at £7.99!! How on earth anyone can charge that for a baby
plant I do not know. A bit more 'housekeeping' would definitely be a
good idea!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com