Old 25-04-2013, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default OT Warning!

On 2013-04-25 12:20:24 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme said:

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 10:28:10 +0100, Sacha wrote:

A friend of ours recently told us that he was staying in a London hotel
on Friday night, prior to taking part in the Marathon. On arriving, he
decided to make himself a cup of hot chocolate, using the kettle in his
room. As the kettle was still full, he simply switched it on and made
the drink. After taking one swig, his mouth and gullet felt as if they
were on fire. It turned out that the staff had descaled all the
kettles and someone had forgotten to empty and rinse out this one. He
had horrible stomach upsets all night but recovered to do the Marathon
and was offered £100 compensation by the hotel. He put this towards his
charity and told them it would not indemnify them against repercussions
if he developed any further illnesses as a result. But as he said to
me "do you empty bedroom kettles and refill them?" and I said "always".
His reply was that was a 'woman thing' and men normally just boil up
what's still in there. Don't!!

Fresh water always makes a better brew, even if boiled. Man thing.

Steve

Yes, I remember being told that years ago. That water boiled more than
once goes 'stale'! My stepfather always used leaves, not tea bags and
he routinely turned the pot 3 times to release the flavour and
encourage the brewing!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com