Old 25-04-2013, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Warning!

"Sacha" wrote in message
A friend of ours recently told us that he was staying in a London hotel on
Friday night, prior to taking part in the Marathon. On arriving, he decided
to make himself a cup of hot chocolate, using the kettle in his room. As
the kettle was still full, he simply switched it on and made the drink.
After taking one swig, his mouth and gullet felt as if they were on fire.
It turned out that the staff had descaled all the kettles and someone had
forgotten to empty and rinse out this one. He had horrible stomach upsets
all night but recovered to do the Marathon and was offered £100
compensation by the hotel. He put this towards his charity and told them it
would not indemnify them against repercussions if he developed any further
illnesses as a result. But as he said to me "do you empty bedroom kettles
and refill them?" and I said "always". His reply was that was a 'woman
thing' and men normally just boil up what's still in there. Don't!!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Because we have a well our water is not chlorinated and we often find the
tea made from mains water tastes disgusting so we take water from home - how
sad is that!

It never occurred to me that anything worse than a rubbish cup of tea could
happen though

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs