Old 25-04-2013, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rbel[_2_] rbel[_2_] is offline

Default More EC Tomfoolery

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 18:47:55 +0100, (Peter
James) wrote:

Jake wrote:

Another daft proposal emanating from the Commissariat and with
potentially serious implications for all of us:

http://open-seeds.org/bad-seed-law/
Have a look at:
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedlaw.html

This does seem to be another somewhat OTT article. Whilst I have not
seen the draft regulation, from the useful europa link provided above
by Martin it does appear to be a tidying up of the existing 12 Council
Directives covering, in the main, commercial crops. From the wording
it is aimed at commercial seed production, agriculture, commercial
horticulture and forestry and, probably most importantly for the EU,
the reduction of member states administrative burden.

I have had a quick trawl round the main eur legislation sites but no
sign of a draft of the regulation. In the event that anyone is
particularly interested in the probable impact of this and is able to
locate a draft let me know and I will put my pre-retirement hat on and
see if there is anything for non-commercial gardeners to be aware of,
other than a potential increase in seed prices.
--
rbel