Old 25-04-2013, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default RHS Wisley orchids

"Sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

" RHS Garden Wisley
Don't forget, if you want to take one of the orchids from the Orchids
in the Glasshouse display home for a suggested donation (cash only),
pop along to the Glasshouse today or tomorrow between 1 -
2.30pm.http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardens/Wisley/What-s-on "

Well that is a bit more sensible than Kew. When we went for a walk around
just after the orchid festival they were dismantling the displays and the
orchids were in a pile outside the glasshouse in the freezing weather. I
asked a gardener and he said they were all destined to be composted
although the expensive Vandas would be sent back to the nursery. So
thousands of Phalaenopsis were just thrown onto the compost heap when Kew
are always asking for money donations. Is it just me?
They could sell them off at a couple of pounds each and at least recoup
some of the outlay.

Absolutely right! What a shocking waste. And today we were looking at the
RHS plant catalogue and nearly fainted at some prices. Perennials in 9cm
pots at £7.99!! How on earth anyone can charge that for a baby plant I do
not know. A bit more 'housekeeping' would definitely be a good idea!

Yes, I had a look at that too and was also struck by the prices. Bought some
Tomato seed last week £3.99 a packet for 6 seeds, luckily all 6 have
germinated.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.