Old 26-04-2013, 05:27 PM
kerrygirl kerrygirl is offline
Registered User

Location: County Kerry, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Brown View Post
On 12/04/2013 18:28, kerrygirl wrote:

Bigolob;980821 Wrote:
You do not say what size GH you want/need or if you want to grow plants,
eg. Tomatoes, Cucumbers, potted flower plants, etc. I have played golf
some years ago on the west coast of Ireland and would not recommend a
plastic windowed GH as on a bad day the windows could finish in the
Atlantic or half way to Dublin. You must go for glass.

The cost of 2000 Euro is ridiculous unless you are looking for something
hugh. 2 years ago I bought a 6ftx6ft aluminium GH with glass windows and
sliding door - it is fabulous and I grow all my autumn rooted cutting,
my Cosmos for planting out (this year, I hope in, in late May) plus
bedding plants which we buy in early May and grow on. My seedling Toms
which now are 6 inches high and will be grown in the GH (heated until
mid to late May to 50-60 degrees) through the summer and autumn.

Look at Halls Greenhouses or similar for quotes. I am sure I did not pay
more than £350.00 complete.

Thank you for making me laugh, picturing my windows half way up to
Dublin. I was actually pricing a 10'x6' the cost 2,247.00 Euros. Crazy
price! One of the reasons I didn't go for glass was the mention that
glass can scorch seedlings. I really want to grow summer bedding for
family and friends and of course the fact that I love it immensely. This
side of gardening is new to me.

Are you talking about twinwall polycarbonate or clear sheet?

Anything using clear sheets will potentially scorch seedlings on a
strong sunshine day even if you have thermostatic vents. Twinwall is
different in that it diffuses the light - reckoned not to be so good for
growing tomatoes but it didn't seem to bother mine.

Bubble wrap is OK as a diffuser to protect seedlings and keep heat in.

Polycarbonate is a bit inclined to flex and spring out which might not
be ideal in a windy location unless they are properly captive.

My experience with wind loading in a very exposed spot and a 20x10 green
house suggests that no matter what you buy to resist the worst storms
you actually have to use stronger diagonal cross bracing on the side
that faces into the prevailing wind if it is aluminium frame. The wind
was gusting to 100mph and crumpled the aluminium struts which then broke
the glass. Once wind was inside the structure it rained sheets of glass
down in a neighbouring field. It wasn't safe to approach.

This was what happened to mine in the winter of 1997. You could also
consider a wooden and twinwall polycarbonate construction by a local
handyman. If you intend to heat it then the fuel savings of a twinwall
insulated greenhouse are significant. Not as pretty as glass or clear.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown