Old 26-04-2013, 09:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Pea crop failure?

In article ,
"Natural Girl" wrote:
their little tentacles, but it seemed like I had room between those plants,
so I poked holes in the ground between each one and planted more seed. I
was wondering just how close you can plant peas and not be too close?

The current seed packet says 2 inches apart. I suspect that may be
favorable more to the seed seller (use more seed) and perhaps yield per
foot of row without being as favorable to yield per plant or total yield
per number of plants (if you have more room.) My current patch is
something approximating 6 inches apart. more than 8 or 9 inches is
probably too sparse. If you are space-limited, the tighter spacing is
probably better.

I wonder if there are trials data available on different spacings
(though of course that would depend on what type they were using, at
least until enough trials with enough different types were run to get
any general results....