Old 26-04-2013, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Potting on seedlings

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 18:48:11 +0100, stranger wrote:

When I pot on tomatoes, I put them in so that the first leaves are just above
the compost level in the new pot.

Should you do that with other plants as well?

eg I am potting on some sunflowers and they are about 1.5 inches of stem before
the leaves.

How deep should I do them please?

I take a "play by eye" approach to everything I grow from seed.
Essentially this means look at the seedlings. Do they look
"stretched"? If they haven't had quite enough light they will be
"leggy" - a lot of stem in between the leaves.

If I had 1.5 inches of sunflower stem before the first pair of leaves,
for example, I'd probably bury an inch or so of that stem.

Over time, you'll gain experience and be able to judge for yourself
whether a seedling looks right or not. But at this early stage in both
your planting self-education and the seedlings' development you're
unlikely to lose anything by going too deep but could lose plants by
going to shallow. So I'd err on the side of burial.

--
Cheers, Jake