Old 27-04-2013, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default More EC Tomfoolery

"Janet" wrote in message
T...

In article ,
says...

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 23:45:07 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Jake" wrote

Another daft proposal emanating from the Commissariat and with
potentially serious implications for all of us:

http://open-seeds.org/bad-seed-law/

I also understand that Barley Straw as used to cure green algae in ponds
is
also to be removed from sale as it's been decided it must be tested and
receive the necessary number to remain on sale. The costs would be too
much
for anyone to contemplate so it's coming off the shelves.

There's nothing to stop you buying barley straw for other purposes and
using it as you want.

It would be nice if people quoted the directive when posting things
like this.

or at least, the name of the Daily Mail journalist.

I'll bow to your knowledge about the Daily Mail having never read one, in
fact I haven't bought a British Newspaper in over 50 years.

The EU Directive is their Biocides Regulation and can be read here....

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/biocides/

I know the Trade has been lobbying for exemption and although promised it
would be in Annex 1 and excluded it hasn't appeared there yet. If it doesn't
get exemption then it's off the shelves.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.