Old 29-04-2013, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default Wood/Bark/Mulch attracting tiny ants close to the house?

On 4/29/2013 1:44 PM, Nanzi wrote:
We only started mulching with commercial mulches(Bagged) a couple of years ago. Since them we have been seeing more tiny ants in the house. And DH says they are outside, he saw a column of them climbing the foundation, which he despatched with insect killer.
Is the mulch attracting them? Does it need to be treated? Sprayed? Not used next to the foundation?? He used to use peatmoss to top dress the gardens. With the advent of the colored mulches, we started using the red/browns as our log sided home is a cinnamon color.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
We are in Delaware in the middle of the peninsula. Our soil is very clay heavy.
Nanzi

There are ant barrier insecticides that you can sprinkle around your
foundation and water in. I would have done it over a month ago here in
Northern DE but got a termite treatment last year when I saw them too
close to the house for comfort. The termite treatment apparently should
also keep ants down and there are Bayer DYI products you can find at
Lowes or HD.

We had a couple of bad ant years but not since I started putting down
the barrier insecticide. You also want to go around your foundation and
look for cracks where ants may be marching into the house.

Termites also go for wood mulches but I think cedar is resistant. Don't
know about ants. Both ants and termites need moisture and mulch is
probably not helping.