Old 30-04-2013, 04:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default How to protect my cherry tree from birds?

On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 20:16:51 -0700, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

On 4/29/13 2:57 PM, CherryTree wrote:
I have a nice cherry tree in my garden, it has very tasty cherries every
year but... not for long. Every year thousand of birds eat them all. I
erected a dud but this has no effect at all. Are there any reliable l
ways to protect the cherries? Thank you.

To protect my fruit from birds, I hang unwanted compact discs (CDs). I
drill a small hole very near the edge of a disc and hang it kite twine
from the tree or from nearby trees.

That will accomplish exactly zero... the larger birds that will eat
cherries, like crow/jays, will pay CDs no mind. I hang CDs in my
windows to deter birds from trying to fly through but it's only about
50% effective. To protect fruit from birds only netting works fairly
well... larger birds will still snatch fruit through the netting.