Old 30-04-2013, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Moe DeLoughan Moe DeLoughan is offline

Default Splayed Branches On Conifer

On 4/28/2013 3:00 PM, ploppygb wrote:

After the snow this winter, some of the branches on our conifers have
splayed out. They look very unsightly so I want to tie them back in.
Can anyone what I should to use and any other advice. I presume string
is no good. Thanks.

That's a very common mishap with arborvitae, and in fact is one of
their drawbacks. Depending on the size of the branches, people have
used anything from pantyhose to heavy rope. Whatever you use, it's not
a good idea to wrap or tie it snugly around a branch, since that will
cut into the branch as it grows. I prefer to simply circle two or more
of the affected branches with rope, then tie the ends of the rope
together. That allows the branches some movement in the wind while
still pulling them together (and/or upright, depending on the type of
evergreen) without the risk of the rope cutting into any branches.
Rope will also decay over time, which is a good thing if the branches
eventually assume their natural posture and require no further
support, but a bit of a nuisance if you eventually need to tie them up
again.

I've got some 60+ year old globe arborvitae that have grown so large,
the biggest branches sag under their own weight. Come a heavy wet snow
or a high wind and they'd snap, so I provide support to a couple of
the largest/longest branches with 4 x 4 posts to help maintain the
shrub's general shape.