Old 01-05-2013, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default How to protect my cherry tree from birds?

Dan Espen wrote:
CherryTree writes:

I have a nice cherry tree in my garden, it has very tasty cherries
every year but... not for long. Every year thousand of birds eat
them all. I erected a dud but this has no effect at all. Are there
any reliable l ways to protect the cherries? Thank you.

Other posters recommend netting.
Seems to me you'd end up with a lot of birds caught in the netting.

You don't usually get trapped birds. This is the system used commercially
including vineyards, without netting there would be no grape harvest round
here. If you don't enclose the tree(s) fully you might get one or two birds
that get underneath and then insist on flying upwards and so cannot get out
but normally you can enclose it and avoid this. Even so it takes 5 minutes
to free them.