Old 01-05-2013, 02:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default How to protect my cherry tree from birds?

"CherryTree" wrote in message

I have a nice cherry tree in my garden, it has very tasty cherries every
year but... not for long. Every year thousand of birds eat them all. I
erected a dud but this has no effect at all. Are there any reliable l
ways to protect the cherries? Thank you.

White bird netting. Not black because birds have more difficulty seeing it
and can get caught in it. white netting works well and we'v used the same
netting year after year on our trees. This year we covered a pear, 3
apples, a plum and fig with it. We ahrvested bumper crops from all of the
netted trees and no fruit at all from the trees that we didn't bother to
net. It's a bit of a pain to put on or get off as it needs the careful use
of soft headeed broom and ladders, but if you want fruit, that is what you
have to do.