Old 01-05-2013, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis armandii

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:

All of my references say that this is not particularly hardy, but
I am coming to the conclusion that may be another gardening myth.
Has anyone got experiences of it suffering more than slightly
with (a) -10 Celcius in winter or (b) late frosts?

On this, I lost a few morning glory seedlings and young shoots
of a few plants died in the recent frosts. Nothing of consequence,
so far! But C. armandii had no trouble, though I have lost young
shoots in the past.

On another aspect, does anyone have experience of "Snowdrift"?
Is it a reasonably tough form, and what does it smell like?

I have 2 armandii which have been in for about 10 years and survive
with no problem.

Well, yes, so have I. But you are a lot warmer than I am, and I am
thinking of planting a new variety ("Snowdrift") in a rather more
exposed spot.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Snow drift and apple blossom are of similar vintage I believe, I have never
heard that one is tougher than the other. Jeffery's form is a third good
one.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs