Old 25-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Joe Shmoe

Default Sugar Maple age

Vincent Chebetar wrote:

I was scratching my head about the 60 inch diameter on a 95 year old tree
myself. Thanks for clearing that up Wonder what the MAI is and how is
the wood quality?

Joe

Kate

I see what you are doing. The circumference is divided by 3.1415 (Pi) to
obtain the diameter of the tree, which is then multiplied by the growth
factor to obtain an approximation of the age of the tree.

Vince

"Vincent Chebetar" wrote in message
Kate

Your sugar maple would have an estimated age of 60" x 5 = 300 years in a
non-forested environment. There are to many factors that could affect
the growth rate in a forested situation.

Vince

"kate" wrote in message
The tree is 60 inches in diameter at the 5 foot level, and is in a
residential front yard in Nashville TN. There was a Silver Maple that
shaded it somewhat, but that went down a few years ago in a tornado. By
the chart used from
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/leaf/HowOld.html

I figure if it was in a forest it would be 95 years old. How would I
figure age in a non forest area?

Kate

PS - Thanks for the great book recommendations - I'm about half way
through Forest Primeval and I'm seeing the woods I frequent in a
totally new light! (And I love my Textbook of Dendrology!)