Old 02-05-2013, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Feeding young fruit trees.

Martin Brown wrote in news:NEogt.6955$%
:

On 01/05/2013 15:13, Baz wrote:
What should we be doing now?
I tend to let them do their own feeding with their deep roots.

Baz

A bit of potash at the end of the season and any slow release fertiliser
you like will help them to get established. Preparation of the hole they
were put it in and staking is probably more important.

Keep grass and weeds down at the base of the tree too.

Yes, thanks Martin. I did not add any potash last autumn, just lots of
manure at the base of each tree. Only one of them is staked because that is
the only one in a really exposed position. Would you advise staking the
rest? I have the equipment to do it but am a bit scared of damaging roots.

Thanks
Baz