Old 02-05-2013, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael michael is offline

Default Impending drought

We have not had any significant rain here for months,and our allotments are looking very parched.All of the seed beds (leeks,parnsnips) are having to be watered daily,and newly planted lettuces,spinach etc are struggling to survive.
I also have a couple of long(30') double rows of Onward peas,which are now beginning to grow slowly after the very cold March and early April.I am sure that if we do not get any significant rain soon (none forecast for the next two weeks)the peas will quickly start flowering and we will have a miniscule crop.I am reluctant to start watering 30' rows,since once it is started,it is probably necessary every other day,and watering ruins the soil structure.
I have been on our allotments for nearly 50 years,and have never seen a dry period like this before.There may well be serious problems by June/July.
Any suggestions for peas that are drying out?
Michael (Cheadle,Greater Manchester)