Old 03-05-2013, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback[_3_] Broadback[_3_] is offline

Default Impending drought

On 2013-05-02 21:41:46 +0100, Jake said:

On Thu, 02 May 2013 14:14:17 GMT, Baz wrote:

We go through this drought discussion every year, don't we. A dry
spell is
common isn't it?
Last year was the wettest drought on record. The year before that was
the
wettest non-drought on record.
Keep on watering the plants until "they" tell us not to. And don't be
peed
off when everything gets washed away.
No hosepipe bans yet.

Baz

I read a weather prediction from some professor of meteorology
somewhere that the weather pattern this year matches enough previous
years to allow a reasonable expectation of a washout summer.

OTOH, some forecasters are predicting sub-zero overnight temperatures
for South Wales next week; others are predicting lows of 3-4C
overnight. Who do we believe?

Not that I care! I have about 70 large plants to get into the ground.
Today I fell off a ladder and will be using crutches for a few weeks.
It's easier to water those pots which are within a couple of metres of
the tap than drag hose or cans all round the garden (I'd have to
drag/carry them in my mouth!).

Oh what very bad luck! I do hope you recover quickly & that nothing is
broken. In the meantime, I suggest you bribe a sturdy teenager to do the
watering for you. Get well soon.

Usually the Met's temperature predictions are pretty good. But there is
a huge difference between country and town, this is especially
significant for lows at night, the open country is far colder than in
towns where the temperature is increased by the heat given off by warm
buildings.