Old 03-05-2013, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David.WE.Roberts David.WE.Roberts is offline

Default Things to plant in mid June on the allotment.

After being pressured by a couple of old timers on the allotment to start
frantically digging and planting last year when we took the allotment on,
we still have loads of perennial weeds, mainly docks, grass and nettles.

This year I am going to do what I intended to do last year - that is clean
out all the weeds using Glyphosphate and wait long enough for the seeds to
start germinating again and zap them a second time.

Hopefully this will then give me the chance to dig over and plant without
constantly back tracking to attack the perennials which are popping up
again.

First spraying day today - that is first day with little enough wind for
it to be safe to spray, and also warm enough that everything is growing
actively.

If I treat again in a week or so when I can see the bits I missed in the
first pass, I could have the majority of the weeds knocked back by the
beginning of June.

At that point I could start digging over and raking out and waiting for
the next rush of germination.

So probably no chance of planting anything out until mid June.

So - what can I think about planting out then to crop before the end of
November or after the end of January?

Regrettably not potatoes - I am on a permanent low carbohydrate diet so
the main crop used for bringing land back in production is no good to us.

Cheers

Dave R