Old 03-05-2013, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Things to plant in mid June on the allotment.

Chris Hogg wrote in
news
On Fri, 03 May 2013 11:24:13 GMT, Baz wrote:

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in
:

After being pressured by a couple of old timers on the allotment to
start frantically digging and planting last year when we took the
allotment on, we still have loads of perennial weeds, mainly docks,
grass and nettles.

This year I am going to do what I intended to do last year - that is
clean out all the weeds using Glyphosphate and wait long enough for
the seeds to start germinating again and zap them a second time.

Hopefully this will then give me the chance to dig over and plant
without constantly back tracking to attack the perennials which are
popping up again.

First spraying day today - that is first day with little enough wind
for it to be safe to spray, and also warm enough that everything is
growing actively.

If I treat again in a week or so when I can see the bits I missed in
the first pass, I could have the majority of the weeds knocked back

by
the beginning of June.

At that point I could start digging over and raking out and waiting
for the next rush of germination.

So probably no chance of planting anything out until mid June.

So - what can I think about planting out then to crop before the end
of November or after the end of January?

Regrettably not potatoes - I am on a permanent low carbohydrate diet
so the main crop used for bringing land back in production is no good
to us.

Cheers

Dave R

First thing to say is that you will never get rid of perennial weeds.
Some seeds can be dormant for decades.

One year's seeds, seven years weeds.

Well, at least seven years then.
Baz