Old 03-05-2013, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default squirrels stealing tomatoes

On Friday, May 3, 2013 5:25:56 AM UTC-7, Gus wrote:
What non-lethal methods work best to keep city squirrels away from tomatoes?

It is a serious problem here. I wouldn't mind sharing some tomatoes, but the

squirrels here are very rude and do not share. And actually taunt. Taking

a bite out of a perfectly good tomato and then leaving it.

Building a wire cage probably is the best method, but I hear they can even

get through those. And I'm not all that handy at building things.

Last year, putting soaking a rag with vinegar about every 3 or so days

seemed to work for a while. Though at the end of the summer, even that was

not deterring them that well.

Some people (not me) use a .22.

Some people use big black birds.

I'm just sayin'