Old 03-05-2013, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Gus[_2_] Gus[_2_] is offline

Default squirrels stealing tomatoes

"Frank" wrote in message
On 5/3/2013 8:25 AM, Gus wrote:
What non-lethal methods work best to keep city squirrels away from
tomatoes? It is a serious problem here. I wouldn't mind sharing some
tomatoes, but the squirrels here are very rude and do not share. And
actually taunt. Taking a bite out of a perfectly good tomato and then
leaving it.

Building a wire cage probably is the best method, but I hear they can
even get through those. And I'm not all that handy at building things.

Last year, putting soaking a rag with vinegar about every 3 or so days
seemed to work for a while. Though at the end of the summer, even that
was not deterring them that well.

Havahart trap and relocate to a more affluent neighborhood.

Largest rat traps will sometimes get them. Bait with peanut butter.

I laced bird feeder with gobs of hot pepper flakes and it would not deter
them.

Squirrels are not an endangered species and if you can't use a .22 you
might consider an air rifle.

Too many to get rid of them all; another will just take its place. They are
like the Chinese army.