Old 03-05-2013, 09:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Todd[_2_] Todd[_2_] is offline

Default squirrels stealing tomatoes

On 05/03/2013 05:25 AM, Gus wrote:
What non-lethal methods work best to keep city squirrels away from
tomatoes? It is a serious problem here. I wouldn't mind sharing some
tomatoes, but the squirrels here are very rude and do not share. And
actually taunt. Taking a bite out of a perfectly good tomato and then
leaving it.

Building a wire cage probably is the best method, but I hear they can
even get through those. And I'm not all that handy at building things.

Last year, putting soaking a rag with vinegar about every 3 or so days
seemed to work for a while. Though at the end of the summer, even that
was not deterring them that well.

Hi Gus,

I have a customer/friend with a greenhouse. The resident
squirrels would dig under the walls and steal all his
tomatoes. He lives out in the boon docks and would shoot
at them when they ran away with a tomato in their mouths.

Nothing worked until he removed all his boxes, lined the
floor with pavers, and replaced his boxes. Now he brags
that he has to give away tomatoes. He chuckles about
all the head aches he is giving the squirrels when they
hit their heads on the pavers.

-T