Old 25-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Gregory Young

Default White Grubs...

wrote in message
http://homeharvest.com/milkspore.html

Milky Spore - Bacillus popillae
" Two kinds of bacteria are known to cause milky disease in grubs. They

attack only
members of the white grub family. Milky Spore disease affects some-- 47

different
varieties of beetle grubs in the U.S. including June Beetle or May Fly

grubs, but the
Japanese beetle grub is probably the most extensively affected.---- Milky

disease
bacteria do not infect nor harm other insects, earthworms, birds,

warm-blooded
animals, humans, or plants."

effective 15-20 years. 10oz Covers 2,500 SF $28+
about the cost of 1 nice rose, cheap at the price.
Ingrid

That is an interesting reference, from a retailer/reseller of the product.
Their web site states "milky spore disease affects 47 diff varieties of
beetle grubs..." .. note here the word disease vs. the bacteria they are
selling, because the following site:
http://www.milkyspore.com/milkyspore.htm
which is from St Gabriel's labs, who actually manufacture the product state:
"It (Milky Spore) targets and discriminately works to attack the white grubs
of Japanese Beetles..
No mention 47 other varieties here!

By golly discrepant information again!
Who should we believe.. the product reseller or manufacturer??? I think I'll
go with the latter.

As to the expense, if all you need is to cover 2500 sq ft, then it's not too
bad. Many have turfs much larger, and it is pricey.

Also if you go to the manufacturer's site I listed, you will see applying it
will take time. You need to map out your yard, and be sure to follow their
instructions as to when to apply (to avoid inactivation).

You can't use a broadcast spreader. If you use a drop spreader you can't use
the powder.. you need a special mix, at a higher cost.

As I said in my initial post, MS will work for Japanese beetle grubs, and if
you are sure you have an infestation of them, then go for it!

BUT:

I still would recommend before you spend any $$ on MS that you have the
grubs checked as I described in my initial post.

Good luck, (let me know what you find out about your grubs!)
Greg