Old 04-05-2013, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens
Todd[_2_] Todd[_2_] is offline

Default squirrels stealing tomatoes

Gus wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
David E. Ross wrote:
On 5/3/13 12:15 PM, Frank wrote [in part]:

You need know laws where you live. Some places like here make trap
and release illegal but you can trap and kill the animal. I
released a squirrel right in front of a cop once but he said
nothing.

It's not merely trap-and-release. The laws also vary regarding
killing squirrels. Gray squirrels are native to southern California
and are protected by law. Red squirrels, however, are an introduced
species and may be killed.

In either case if there is a large breeding colony both T & R and
killing a few are a waste of time. They will breed up and replace
all you can remove. In such a case you need an effective repellent
or physical barrier.

Speaking of the tomato plants, I noticed 4-5 of them already have a
flower and they are only about 6 inches or less tall. Seems foolish
to flower when so small yet, but they seem healthy. I've only grown
plants about 3 or 4 times and don't remember them flowering when so
small.

This is quite common.

Hi Gus,

I would have to concur with David. I use to work at a greenhouse.
The potted tomato plant they sold to transplant all had flowers
on them.

-T