Old 04-05-2013, 09:54 AM
TeaBag TeaBag is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob F View Post
Just an additional thought. I'd highly recommend that you keep undeveloped areas
weeded if you plan to grow things there and would prefer not to have weeds. If
you let weeds grow, and go to seed, they will continue to re-appear for years to
come. Chickens may take care of many of the weeds, but other garden uses would
benefit from being kept clear of weeds to lessen weeding in them when they
become gardens. Mulch can be very helpful in this effort.
Thanks Bob. That sounds like some good advice. I think the weed situation could be an on-going battle as there's quite a bit of untouched, natural land nearby which has alot of vegetation.

I've read that once a lawn is established, it's much harder for weeds to take hold. Is that right? It would make sense as they'd have to penetrate the grass with their dense roots.