Old 04-05-2013, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Conservatory climbers

In article ,
On 2013-05-01 19:48:12 +0100, Jeff Layman said:

I've also just thought of Schisandra, pink or white.

Schisandra is pretty hardy in my experience. S. grandiflora (red
flower) grew like a weed once it had settled in on Sussex wealden clay,
and showed no problems no matter how low the temperature or how wet the
clay was . It really shouldn't need conservatory treatment to flourish.

I don't think Nick specified that it had to die in the cold. ;-) But
it seems to do better/flower better, in some gardens than others. It's
classified as fully hardy - though I'm without experience of this so I
wonder how it does in cold gardens.

In mine, it grows perfectly well, but does not flower. It lost
its young shoots in the cold snap 10 days ago, but that's not
going to harm it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.