Old 25-04-2003, 05:44 AM
FOW

Default Black Walnut Tree Question

What do they call someone from Lake County, with a full set of teeth?
A tourist ! Speed freak central !
"Philip" wrote in message
LOL! I'm in N. Cal as well, up in the Lake County area. Right now we

have
vineyards bulldozing orchards of walnut trees and burning them. Can't get
them to sell it.

Philip
"FOW" wrote in message
Thanks for the info Phil I was wrong. I'm a WW also. Around here in N.

Cal.
they go out to the walnut groves and backhoe up the old walnut trees at
night aka -Steal them- . For the wood and sell it to the gunstock makes
here.
"Philip" wrote in message
You know, not to disagree too much, but as a woodworker I'll tell you

right
now that there are those of us who will buy such trees, whether or not
they're in a yard. Additionally, the burl isn't what's underneath the
ground, a burl grows off the trunk, not at the juncture of the roots.

The
roots do form unusual patterns, but that's not the burl.

Philip

"FOW" wrote in message
Only the bottom 2 ft and the burl below ground would be worth

anything.
It
would have to have wild figure in the burl.
"Marley1372" wrote in message
His tree is probably an American Walnut but if it's a Black

Walnut
what
might
Tree like that be worth these days?

Nothing. Other than its asthetic value or value that can be

placed
on
it
for
insurance purposes, black walnuts in the landscape arent used for

thier
wood.
The main reason is that outside of thier natural environment,

trees
are
subject
to homeowners who like to put nails and all sorts of wierd stuff

into
thier
trees, and prune them improperly(increasing wound sites that lead

decay).
They also do not acheive the necessary size in the landscape to

produce
the
veneer quality wood that is used for furniture and such.

Toad