Old 04-05-2013, 07:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default First lawn, first post. In need of advice....

TeaBag wrote:
Bob F;982308 Wrote:
Just an additional thought. I'd highly recommend that you keep
undeveloped areas
weeded if you plan to grow things there and would prefer not to have
weeds. If
you let weeds grow, and go to seed, they will continue to re-appear
for years to
come. Chickens may take care of many of the weeds, but other garden
uses would
benefit from being kept clear of weeds to lessen weeding in them when
they
become gardens. Mulch can be very helpful in this effort.

Thanks Bob. That sounds like some good advice. I think the weed
situation could be an on-going battle as there's quite a bit of
untouched, natural land nearby which has alot of vegetation.

I've read that once a lawn is established, it's much harder for weeds
to take hold. Is that right? It would make sense as they'd have to
penetrate the grass with their dense roots.

Harder, but they still show up. I just walk around my lawn with a hand sprayer
of weed-b-gon once in a while, and spritz the few that do show up. Again,
getting them before they go to seed makes a huge difference.