Old 04-05-2013, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Things to plant in mid June on the allotment.

On 04/05/2013 18:50, Janet wrote:
In article , says...

On 04/05/2013 17:58, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote in
:

The best source I've found, is the very large cardboard boxes obtainable from
electrical- white good showrooms. They often nhave to pay to dispose of them so are
glad to give them away (ready flattened and bundled up). A box that protected a
large freezer opens up to a good size. Overlap the edges of adjacent sheets; and
weight them down with bricks or planks so they can't blow around. I also pile
lawncuttings on top of the card.

Use a stanley knife to cut an X to plant through.

Other sharp knives are also available

I tend to pass on tips and experienced advice the way I do it. I use a stanley
knife.

Janet

I really don't see the reason for the cardboard.

It's an instant free mulch which smothers existing weeds to death and prevents
their seeds germinating. It conserves soil water and warmth and reduces the need for
watering.

I am sure that your neighbours are going to love it

They were puzzled at first but within weeks the cardboard was invisible under
lawm-mowings.. all neighbours were glad to contribute theirs. They happily consume
the edible produce, and bring their visitors and friends to admire and enjoy the
ornamental areas.. all created using this method.

Janet.

I was wondering if the cardboard was being recommended to keep the
plants away from the ground and plant life that had been sprayed with
Roundup as the OP said he was doing, or where it fitted into his
proposed plan for the ground.
In the days when Newspapers were newspapers not these fiddly little
things they now sell I used multi sheets as a mulch, worked quite well.
David