Old 05-05-2013, 07:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
Gus[_2_] Gus[_2_] is offline

Default squirrels stealing tomatoes

"Todd" wrote in message
On 05/04/2013 10:27 PM, Gus wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message
Oh my!

Hopefully, this year I will not have: lions and tigers and bears...
Squirrels are bad enough.

I would love to know what finally works

I did have some good luck with vinegar last year and will try that again
when the plants start to produce. Soaked some old socks every few days. No
one had mentioned vinegar, but accidently noticed on the bottle: "protect
garden from unwanted pests... soak rags every 7 to 10 days" on the back of
a Kroger bottle. I think it did work. I assume if it rains, soak the rags
more often. Not sure, but maybe the vinegar smells close to predator urine
to a squirrel, or just unpleasant?

Building a cage around the plants is probably the only sure fire thing to
do, but I went to do that at Home Depot last year and it started to get
kinda expensive to do it right. Last year, I did get quite a decent crop of
tomatoes; but the year before literally 2-3 puny tomatoes and then gave up
as the squirrels ruined all the rest. Ended up uprooting the plants...
Hopefully, vinegar will deter them this year at least so I get some fresh
tomatoes. Nothing better than fresh tomatoes. The ones in store here are
so bland, but garden ones full of flavor.