Old 05-05-2013, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Bee deterrent?

On 04/05/2013 23:01, Nick wrote:
"David wrote in message
On 04/05/2013 22:10, Nick wrote:
A rather odd question perhaps.
A cottage locally is being plagued by small bees. I don't know the name,
species or type of bee. They are nesting within the old and soft
brickwork.
No nesting within the building. Might be able to get a pic of one, if of
any
interest.
I would like to deter them, I most certainly do not want to
kill/eradicate
them.
They don't bother me but are bothering the tenants and their young
children.
Any ideas please for a suitable deterrent or some enticement to persuade
them to move house?

Thank you,
Nick.

http://www.spab.org.uk/advice/techni...-masonry-bees/

That appears to be spot on.
How best to deal with the occupants is another question

Read that helpful link from David Hill again, especially the 4th
paragraph/question-and-answer. Your neighbours need to repoint the
south face of their house (and perhaps the west, too, since that will
also be warm and inviting) so that the bees go elsewhere for soft
mortar. It is the only way to discourage the bees.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London