Old 05-05-2013, 05:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Gus[_2_] Gus[_2_] is offline

Default squirrels stealing tomatoes

"Natural Girl" wrote in message

My husband calls them 'tree rats'!

After what happened two years ago, that is how I see them. One morning, I
opened my back door and there was a ripe tomato in front of the door, with
one bite out of it. I looked around and there was a squirrel looking at me.
Sitting on top the deck, smirking.

I live in the city and cannot shoot or trap tree rats. I would build a cage
but I'm not terribly good at building things. And to do it right, it was
more than I wanted to spend on supplies. After what happened two years ago,
I am willing to use biological or chemical warfare. I have tried cayenne
pepper and animal repellant from the vegetable stand, but it had no aeffect.
Vinegar soaked rags were somewhat successful last year, but I may need a two
or more pronged defense. Yond, this year the squirrels have look like
Cassius...