Old 05-05-2013, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Natural Girl Natural Girl is offline

Default squirrels stealing tomatoes

On 5/5/2013 11:23 AM, Gus wrote:
"Natural Girl" wrote in message

My husband calls them 'tree rats'!

After what happened two years ago, that is how I see them. One morning,
I opened my back door and there was a ripe tomato in front of the door,
with one bite out of it. I looked around and there was a squirrel
looking at me. Sitting on top the deck, smirking.

OMG!!!!!!!!!! That's histerical!!! smirking?? LOL

I live in the city and cannot shoot or trap tree rats. I would build a
cage but I'm not terribly good at building things. And to do it right,
it was more than I wanted to spend on supplies. After what happened two
years ago, I am willing to use biological or chemical warfare. I have
tried cayenne pepper and animal repellant from the vegetable stand, but
it had no aeffect. Vinegar soaked rags were somewhat successful last
year, but I may need a two or more pronged defense. Yond, this year the
squirrels have look like Cassius...

hahaaahaha I'm only laughing because I totally understand just how
frustrating those tree rats can be. One year I had some gorgeous
tomatoes that were nearly ready to pick. I told myself I'd pick them
tomorrow... when I went out to get the ... EVERY tomato was gone on that
bush!!!!!!!! I was livid. Now, I don't wait to pull them!
--
Natural Girl